Fountain of the Avis Gate
“The Fountain of the Gate of Avis, originally located at the New Gate Square, has been built following the will of Cardinal D. Henrique, sometime after 1573.
Its construction is part of the distribution net of the Silver Aqueduct, which aimed at the modernization of the water supply structure to the city, built during the reign of King João III.
In 1886 the town moved the fountain original location, then moved it again in 1920, when it was transferred to the Gate of Avis Square, where it stands today.”
Source: Site DGPC – Direção Geral do Património Cultural